We often get enquiries from potential Customers who know they need a test chamber but don’t know where to start to decide what type of chamber they want. In this article, we show you the main considerations and where they lead you in the Votsch/Weiss range. This range is vast so we have narrowed it down by excluding parts of the range and concentrated on the most popular parts of the range. Amongst the parts excluded are ovens that have no cooling, vacuum ovens, thermal shock chambers, corrosion, emission, light testing, splash, stability, extra-large, PV testing and vibration chambers.
Since Weiss & Votsch consolidated they made the design of their chambers the same. More recently they have brought out the Event range which means that you can have a Votsch Event chamber or a Weiss event chamber. They are identical in design and price; the only difference is the logo on the door.
The most popular chambers are the LabEvent, TempEvent & ClimeEvent chambers. They have a series of numbers in their name which mean the following:
Test space volume/lowest temp/cooling rate, e.g. ClimeEvent C 180/70/5 is a chamber with humidity, 180 litres test space cools to -70C and at 5K/min.
And so to the basic questions which would mostly apply to all manufacturers:
- Is humidity control required?
- What low temperature is required? ≤ 0, ≤-40 or ≤-70°C?
- What is the highest temperature required?
- What test space dimensions/volume are required?
- Is a special ramp rate required? If so with what maximum thermal mass and what dissipated heat, if any?
- What ramp rates will be required with this maximum thermal mass?
- Do the ramps need to be linear?
- Will the test samples emit any corrosive or combustible gases/liquids? Do the test samples have explosive potential? (ATEX considerations)
- Will any option be required e.g. extra shelves, wheels, door with window, extra ports, low dew points?
For safety reasons if combustion or explosion is possible a detailed checklist is filled out and submitted to Votsch for a detailed quote.
Usually, DACTEC can issue a technical and a costed quote within 24 hours after we have lead the Customer through the above considerations and ensured that the chamber(s) offered will perform the tests required.